Leprosy in India
Sixth annual Clinic on Meaningful Modeling of Epidemiological Data
June 1-12, 2015, African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Muizenberg, Cape Town, RSA
Return to the Main Page.
Return to the Schedule.
Return to the list of potential projects.
Can we forecast leprosy incidence by district in India?
Things to consider
- This group is recommended for:
- all participants
- This group will have the opportunity to engage in any of the following:
- conduct longitudinal statistical fitting
- fit mathematical models of transmission
- forecast incidence
Leprosy is one of ten diseases targeted for elimination in the London Declaration. It is a bacterial disease caused by a mycobacterium, similar to tuberculosis. It is a slow disease, and most people seem to be intrinsically resistant. One question is whether it can be “eliminated” by 2020, and this is one of the goals of a Gates-funded Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) consortium.
- Data from the Indian leprosy control program are online and have been put into a spreadsheet for us to look at.